Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Forget all the sugar in jelly! Change things up with this twist on the classic peanut butter sandwich.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons no-sugar-added applesauce
- 2 tablespoons raisins (optional)
- cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- Be sure bread is toasted. Spread PB on one slice and applesauce on the other.
- Sprinkle raisins and spice over PB, if desired, and close sandwich.
- Cut at a diagonal to make two triangles, because triangle sandwiches are better, and enjoy! :) .
I just had this for breakfast, and it was yummy, but as a self-confessed PB&J addict, I have to admit it wasn't as good as the traditional version. Much healthier though, and yummy enough to fill the craving while I'm dieting! Lol I took a pic, but the one you took is much prettier with the strawberries, so I won't post it. [Made for Fall 08 PAC]
If you really want to cut back on the sugar, go with peanut butter that just contains peanuts. Kraft does have a version with no extras, it is generally referred to as "natural peanut butter". The regular peanut butter that most of us are used to is loaded with sugar and hydrogenated fat. Another option is to use other nut or seed butters... I really like sunflower seed butter.
I have made this kind of sandwich for my hyperactive toddler with applesauce, and long before he was born I enjoyed peanut butter sandwiches with raisins sprinkled on them for a change of pace. Both are very good alternatives to jelly or jam. Would recommend this anyone who is cutting back on sugar.