Recipe by LAURIE
Colorful not too eggy frittata. Perfect for brunch ar a light supper. Key here is the patience to NOT turn the potatoes until they are nice and crispy golden. Use a cast iron skillet if at all possible. This wont take so long to do if you can do the veggies while the potatoes are cooking. Enjoy this Ready Set Cook contest recipe!
Top Review by Mirj
One of the best casual supper dishes I have had in a long time. I nuked the carrots and asparagus in the microwave. The only other change I made was to use a teflon roasting dish to cook the potatoes and then the frittata. Okay, cast-iron would have been better, but mine wasn't appropriate for this recipe. After inverting the frittata I slipped it back into the oven for a few more minutes to brown the underside. With an Israeli salad on the side, lots of olive oil and lemon juice, this was a very very nice supper!
- 9 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 -5 chopped basil leaves or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 6 asparagus spears
- 2 carrots
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, red or green (diced)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In small mixing bowl, beat eggs, parmesan, basil and oregano.
- Season with salt and cayenne pepper to your taste, set aside.
- Cook asparagus and carrots in boiling water until tender crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Dice and set aside.
- In medium skillet, heat 3 TBS olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, cover and cook on low til limp, about 10 miuntes.
- Remove lid, turn to medium and add garlic.
- Cook and stir until golden in color, about 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and stir until tender about 5 minutes.
- Remove from skillet with slotted spoon and mix with carrots and asparagus.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine in 12 inch skillet, preferably cast iron and MUST BE OVERPROOF, 2 TBS olive oil and 3 TBS butter.
- Heat over medium heat til hot.
- Add sliced potatoes in layers, overlapping if necessary.
- Reduce to medium low and season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Cover and cook until potatoes are golden on the bottom at least 15-20 minutes-- PATIENCE.
- Carefully turn potatoes in the pan until the browned one are on top adding the remaining butter.
- Cook for about 5-8 more minutes over medium heat tll the bottom is golden also.
- Spread Ricotta cheese over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the onion-asparagus-carrot mixture over the ricotta.
- Arrange sliced tomatoes over the other veggies.
- Pour egg mixture over the top.
- Place skillet in oven and bake about 15 minutes until eggs are set.
- Carefully invert frittata on large platter.
- Sprinkle with chives.
- Cut into wedges and serve immediately.