Japanese New Year's one-pot meal. Dashi, soy sauce, mochi (packed rice cake), and chicken are fundamental ingredients. Add your own choice of vegetables. This a very simple and delicious hearty one pot meal that'll feed 4.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons dashi powder or 1/2 cup dried kelp
- 400 g chicken breasts or 400 g chicken thighs
- 1 large daikon radishes or 2 large turnips
- 1 Chinese cabbage
- 2 large leeks
- 2 medium carrots
- 1/4 cup fresh trefoil (mitsuba) or 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 15 snow peas
- 8 halved dried shiitake mushrooms
- 8 mochi rice cakes
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1Soak shiitake in a bowl of lukewarm water.
- 2Chop daikon and chinese cabbage in 3 inch pieces.
- 3Cut leeks in 2 inch diagonal pieces.
- 4Cut carrots thinly in 2 inch long diagonal pieces.
- 5Roughly chop mitsuba leaves.
- 6Top and tail snow peas.
- 7Cut chicken into 2 inch pieces.
- 8In a large pan, boil 10 cups or so of water.
- 9Add dashi (unless you have dried kelp, in which case boil the kelp to make dashi manually, then remove after 5 mins).
- 10Add shiitake and the water in which they were soaking.
- 11Add vegetables that take longer to cook first: daikon, radish.
- 12Proceed to add the rest of the vegetables and chicken, leaving peas and mitsuba till last minute so they don't lose their colour.
- 13After 15 minutes or so, add mochi and soy sauce.
- 14Once mochi is soft and gooey, the zoni is ready to serve.
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ozoni
Serving Size: 1 (351 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.3
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 64.0 mg
- Sodium 3183.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 30.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: