Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Japanese New Year's one-pot meal. Dashi, soy sauce, mochi (packed rice cake), and chicken are fundamental ingredients. Add your own choice of vegetables. This a very simple and delicious hearty one pot meal that'll feed 4.
- 4 tablespoons dashi powder or 1⁄2 cup dried kelp
- 400 g chicken breasts or 400 g chicken thighs
- 1 large daikon radishes or 2 large turnips
- 1 Chinese cabbage
- 2 large leeks
- 2 medium carrots
- 1⁄4 cup fresh trefoil (mitsuba) or 1⁄4 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 15 snow peas
- 8 halved dried shiitake mushrooms
- 8 mochi rice cakes
- 3⁄4 cup soy sauce
- Soak shiitake in a bowl of lukewarm water.
- Chop daikon and chinese cabbage in 3 inch pieces.
- Cut leeks in 2 inch diagonal pieces.
- Cut carrots thinly in 2 inch long diagonal pieces.
- Roughly chop mitsuba leaves.
- Top and tail snow peas.
- Cut chicken into 2 inch pieces.
- In a large pan, boil 10 cups or so of water.
- Add dashi (unless you have dried kelp, in which case boil the kelp to make dashi manually, then remove after 5 mins).
- Add shiitake and the water in which they were soaking.
- Add vegetables that take longer to cook first: daikon, radish.
- Proceed to add the rest of the vegetables and chicken, leaving peas and mitsuba till last minute so they don't lose their colour.
- After 15 minutes or so, add mochi and soy sauce.
- Once mochi is soft and gooey, the zoni is ready to serve.