Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the Queen City's (Springfield, Missouri) version of cashew chicken. You won't eat it any where else like this. This is from my daughter's recipe collection. It's addicting.
- 4 cups water
- 8 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (cut into cubes)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cashew halves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- Bring water to boil in a large saucepan. Dissolve bouillon in boiling water. Remove 1 cup of this broth and mix with cornstarch in a small bowl. Return broth and cornstarch mixture to saucepan and let thicken. Stir in sugar, oyster sauce, and soy sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a shallow dish or bowl, flour cubed chicken and allow to stand in flour for 15 minutes. In a small bowl, beat egg, milk, salt and pepper together. Remove chicken from flour, dip into egg mixture, roll in flour again and fry in in hot peanut oil in a large skillet until golden brown.
- Place fried chicken cubes over hot steamed rice on a medium platter. Heat sauce over low heat, then pour over chicken. Sprinkle with cashew halves and green onions and serve.
WOW thank you! i left ozark,MO 5yrs ago and have been frustrated finding a reasturant that had my favorite comfort food! now that im 4 mo pregnant couldnt of come at a better time. Great recipe did exactly as directed.