Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the Pie Pantry in Belleville, Illinois as published in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarsely cracked black pepper
- In a skillet, fry bacon until crisp; drain and set aside.
- To make a roux, melt 1/4 cup butter in small skillet. Stir in flour until well combined. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, saute mushrooms, celery and onion in 1/3 cup butter until soft, about 6 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and cream. Bring to a boil. Whisk in the roux to thicken. Stir in bacon; season with pepper and serve.
This was excellent. I didn't have the celery so I used 1 tsp. celery salt and a pound of bacon. I really enjoyed this soup. Thanx=)
I really enjoyed this soup. I halved the amount of butter, otherwise, I made it as written. Lovely flavor and texture. Thanx for posting; I'll make this again...and I think next time I'll use a whole pound of mushrooms.