1/2 Photos of Ozark Fried Mush / Scrapple
Cheap, easy and so very good. An uncomplicated and traditional old-timey recipe. Cooking time doesn't include chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Line a standard loaf pan with plastic wrap, making sure it's pressed into the corners.
- 2Place the water in a size appropriate pan with a heavy bottom, OR a double boiler (if you don't want to watch it as closely). To me, faster is better, & mush cooks up over low heat very nicely w/ the occasional stir in a thick bottomed pot. If you have doubts, use the double boiler.
- 3Add the corn meal and salt to the cool water and place the pot on med- high heat. - If you want scrapple, add the sausage when you add the cornmeal & put your hand in the pot to break up the sausage very thoroughly.You don't want chunks of meat because it will be much harder to slice later.
- 4When the mush begins to boil, turn heat down to medium-low, cover, and stir every few minutes w/ a spatula to keep it from sticking and burning.
- 5Cook 20 minutes, stirring frequently, remove from heat and pour into the plastic lined loaf pan.
- 6Cool 10 - 15 minutes, cover w/ plastic, finish cooling on the counter, and chill at least four hours, or up to a week.
- 7Turn the loaf out onto the top covering of plastic wrap and slice 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, using a thin, sharp knife.
- 8Fry slices in a non-stick pan in the fat of your choice; just a drizzle in a non-stick pan does nicely. Fry over med to med low heat till the slices are nicely browned. I take my time when frying this, you want to develop a nice crunchy crust over the soft mush inside, and on high heat you'll brown it before it gets the texture we like.
- 9Serve hot w/ honey, syrup, or w/ butter and hot sauce. Good cold too.
- 10Mush cannot be frozen because the formation of ice crystals causes it to break up when thawed.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ozark Fried Mush / Scrapple
Serving Size: 1 (382 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 110.4
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 599.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 2.4 g