Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
My husband and dad love to cook oysters on the grill. This recipe is one of their favorites. Steven Raichlen
Top Review by CJAY
Great recipe!! The horseradish cream is to die for. I cooked the oysters directly on the grill. They were rather large so it took a little longer but they turned out awesome. We really enjoyed the sauce. It was a nice change from melted butter. Thanks for sharing. Made for Football Pool 2011.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon grated plain horseradish, drained if bottled (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 dozen oysters, in the shell scrubbed
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the cream to soft peaks in a chilled bowl; then fold in the horseradish, chives, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Taste for seasoning, adding horseradish and lemon juice as necessary; the mixture should be highly seasoned.
- If you have a fish or vegetable grate, preheat it on the grill grate (medium-high) for 5 minutes, then arrange the oysters on it, rounded side down—otherwise, arrange the oysters directly on the grill grate; grill 6-10 minutes, until the shells open.
- Transfer the oysters to serving plates or a platter, discarding any top shells or oysters that did not open.
- Place a spoonful of horseradish cream on each oyster and serve immediately.