Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a lovely dish to serve as an appetizer on Christmas or New Years Eve. Very elegant. one of my all time favorites
- 36 oysters, shucked (the fresher the better)
- 4 cups rock salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups roughly chopped spinach leaves
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup hollandaise sauce (Blender Hollandaise Sauce)
- Shuck oysters, remove meat and set bottom portion of each shell in an oven proof pan of rock salt to steady them and protect them from high heat.
- Discard top of shell.
- Set oysters aside.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat Add shallots cook for 2 minutes.
- Add Garlic, spinach, bacon and parsley.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Saute until hot.
- Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in wine, lemon juice, Worcestershire Sauce, and cream.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer until thickened about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Divide this mixture among prepared shells.
- Place 1 oyster in each shell on top of spinach mixture.
- Broil 2 minutes .
- Coat lightly with Hollandaise (Recipe#91452.).
- Broil 3 more minutes or until golden.
- Serve immediately.