Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
An appetizing first course from the flavor center of the universe, Louisiana. Courtesy of Chef Jay Kimball of Romaire's, featured in The Louisiana New Garde television series.
- 226.79 g prosciutto, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 bell peppers, roasted and cut into strips (your choice of yellow, red or green)
- 16 large oysters
- 14.79 ml seafood seasoning, mix (Seafood Seasoning Mix, store bought, or your own recipe)
- 236.59 ml cornflour
- 4.92 ml salt
- oil, for frying (about a cup)
Creole Mustard Sauce
- 78.07 ml beef broth or 78.07 ml beef stock
- 4.92 ml lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 2.46 ml creole mustard
- 0 teapoon Worcestershire sauce
- 0.25 ml whipping cream
- 44.37 ml unsalted butter
- skewers (if using wooden or bamboo skewers, soak 1/2 hour in water or stock before threading) or toothpick (if using wooden or bamboo skewers, soak 1/2 hour in water or stock before threading)
- Cut prosciutto into 16 cubes.
- Place the end of a pepper strip on a metal skewer, ad a cube of prosciutto, an oyster, and wrap by skewering the other end of the pepper strip.
- Repeat until skewer is filled.
- Combine seafood seasoning, corn flour and salt.
- Roll the skewered food in corn flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large frypan to 350F and cook the skewers for a couple of minutes on each side or until golden.
- Remove and place on absorbent paper/paper towels to drain.
- To make the sauce: Bring the first five sauce ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Whisk the butter in a tablespoon at a time, until smooth.
- To serve: Remove food from skewers and divide among serving plates.
- Drizzle with sauce.