Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Savory and delicious served with toast points or biscuits, this dish comes from the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 dozen oyster
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons red bell peppers, minced
- 2 teaspoons onions, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Simmer oysters in their liquid until plump.
- Drain, saving liquid.
- Place drained oysters in a buttered casserole and keep warm.
- Melt butter; saute pepper and onion.
- Blend in flour and add oyster liquid with enough water to make 1 1/2 cups.
- Bring to a boiling point, stirring constantly.
- Season and pour over oysters.
- Add cheese and bake at 350F for 15 minutes.