Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Elegantly simple. From the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Baking time approximate.
- 1⁄4 lb bacon
- 30 large oysters, shucked
- 6 slices toast
- skewer (if using bamboo skewers, soak for an hour before using)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cut bacon into pieces about 1 to 1 1/2 inches square.
- String oysters and bacon squares alternately on six skewers, being careful to run skewers through the firmer part of the shellfish.
- Place skewers across a narrow deep baking pan so that the oysters will hang down, but not touch the bottom of the pan; leave space between skewers so that the heat will pass evenly around them.
- Bake for five minutes, or until bacon crisps.
- Place a skewer on each slice of toast.
- Drench with pan juices and serve immediately.