A wonderful oyster dish from the heart of the south, New Orleans. This would also make a memorable appetizer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the roux
For the sauce
- 1/4 cup butter (no substitutions)
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 1 cup green onion, minced
- 1 cup celery, minced
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 cup small shrimp, cleaned and peeled
- 1 teaspoon thyme, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon parsley, minced
- 2 -3 drops Angostura bitters
- 2 -3 drops Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine (Chardonnay or Pino Grigio are wonderful, but whatever you have on hand will do)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 dozen oysters (uncooked, on the half shell)
- rock salt
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2Make the roux by mixing the flour and butter together; cook slowly and stir constantly, taking care not to scorch until mixture is peanut butter colored.
- 3Melt the 1/4 cup butter in a saute pan; add onion, green onion, celery and mushrooms.
- 4Cook until onion becomes transparent, but not brown.
- 5Add the garlic and shrimp.
- 6Simmer for ten minutes; add seasonings, white wine, lemon juice and cream.
- 7Add the roux a bit at a time until the sauce thickens.
- 8Stir in the bread crumbs; set aside.
- 9Place rock salt in a large baking pan (or several smaller ones; nestle the oysters in the shell securely into the rock salt.
- 10Cover each oyster with the sauce and bake for ten minutes, or until the oysters heat through and the sauce browns slightly.
- 11Serve while hot.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oysters Bienville
Serving Size: 1 (643 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1212.7
- Calories from Fat 789
- Total Fat 87.7 g
- Saturated Fat 51.9 g
- Cholesterol 384.0 mg
- Sodium 955.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 38.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: