Don't let the list of ingredients intimidate you - this actually goes together very quickly and makes a perfect last minute hearty and satisfying dinner.
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 tablespoons Wondra Flour
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 16 ounces shucked oysters, with their liquor
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Sauté diced bacon in a non-stick soup pot over low heat until rendered.
- Add butter and heat until melted.
- Add onions, celery and garlic and continue to cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until translucent, taking care not to let them brown.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, pinch of cayenne, thyme and Wondra or other fine white flour, whisking steadily to make a roux.
- Cook, whisking steadily, for several minutes.
- Slowly whisk in clam juice, whisking until smooth, then sherry, whisking until smooth.
- Whisk in cream, whisking until smooth, then whisk in evaporated milk, whisking until smooth.
- Raise heat slightly, stir while bringing just until it starts to boil, then lower heat and whisk until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in oysters with their liquor, several dashes of Worcestershire sauce and the chopped parsley.
- Continue to heat, stirring occasionally, until oysters curl at the edges indicating they are heated through.