1/1 Photo of Oyster Stew Supreme
Sherri Dodsworth's Note:
Don't let the list of ingredients intimidate you - this actually goes together very quickly and makes a perfect last minute hearty and satisfying dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 tablespoons Wondra Flour
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 16 ounces shucked oysters, with their liquor
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1Sauté diced bacon in a non-stick soup pot over low heat until rendered.
- 2Add butter and heat until melted.
- 3Add onions, celery and garlic and continue to cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until translucent, taking care not to let them brown.
- 4Add salt and pepper to taste, pinch of cayenne, thyme and Wondra or other fine white flour, whisking steadily to make a roux.
- 5Cook, whisking steadily, for several minutes.
- 6Slowly whisk in clam juice, whisking until smooth, then sherry, whisking until smooth.
- 7Whisk in cream, whisking until smooth, then whisk in evaporated milk, whisking until smooth.
- 8Raise heat slightly, stir while bringing just until it starts to boil, then lower heat and whisk until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 9Stir in oysters with their liquor, several dashes of Worcestershire sauce and the chopped parsley.
- 10Continue to heat, stirring occasionally, until oysters curl at the edges indicating they are heated through.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oyster Stew Supreme
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 438.7
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.2 g
- Saturated Fat 20.6 g
- Cholesterol 136.1 mg
- Sodium 367.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 10.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: