Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 473.19 ml oyster, Shucked, with liquor
- 946.0 ml milk or 946.0 ml fat-free half-and-half
- 59.14 ml butter
- salt and black pepper
- seafood seasoning (optional)
- Cook oysters in their liquor until edges just begin to curl.
- Add milk, butter, salt and pepper.
- Heat slowly, being careful to NOT boil.
- Serve immediately (for an extra "zip", sprinkle seafood seasoning on each serving).
this is a traditional dish my family has enjoyed on christmas eve for over 30 years. my mother passed away 2 years ago and it fell to me to keep the tradition going. i needed to recheck my memory and had a hard time finding this till i came across your site. many thanks and merry christmas
This is the oyster stew I grew up with, except my Mom never measured anything, and I always heated it too much, too fast. This came out perfect, and will be my "go too" recipe from now on.
Here is the quintessential recipe exemplifying the axioms "less is more" and "the simpler the better." Perfection.