Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Who knew how easy it was to make oyster stew...and delicious. Why not have this every week instead of just during the holidays? Recipe courtesy of Joy of Cooking. Serving size is estimated.
- 29.58-59.16 ml butter
- 14.79 ml onions or 14.79 ml leeks or 1 garlic cloves or 118.29 ml celery, minced
- 473.19-709.78 ml oyster, shucked and coarsely chopped with their liquor
- 354.88 ml milk
- 118.29 ml heavy cream
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml white pepper or 2.46 ml paprika
- 29.58 ml parsley, chopped
- Combine in the top of a double boiler set directly on medium heat the butter and onion or leek or garlic or celery.
- Cook, stirring, until the butter is melted and the onion is tender but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in oysters, milk, cream, salt, and white pepper or paprika.
- Place the top of the double boiler over, not in, boiling water.
- When the milk is hot, and the oysters float, add parsley.