Recipe by AmyZoe
Who knew how easy it was to make oyster stew...and delicious. Why not have this every week instead of just during the holidays? Recipe courtesy of Joy of Cooking. Serving size is estimated.
- 2 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon onions or 1 tablespoon leeks or 1 garlic cloves or 1⁄2 cup celery, minced
- 1 -1 1⁄2 pint oyster, shucked and coarsely chopped with their liquor
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper or 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine in the top of a double boiler set directly on medium heat the butter and onion or leek or garlic or celery.
- Cook, stirring, until the butter is melted and the onion is tender but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in oysters, milk, cream, salt, and white pepper or paprika.
- Place the top of the double boiler over, not in, boiling water.
- When the milk is hot, and the oysters float, add parsley.