Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 scallions, white and green parts finely chopped seperately
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- white pepper
- 3 dozen oysters, shucked and liquor reserved (1-1-1/4 lb)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan and cook the white parts of the scallions, celery and garlic until softened.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, then gradually stir in the milk and cream.
- Bring to a boil, stirring.
- Add the cayenne, salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan cook the oysters in their liquor until just firm- 2-3 minutes.
- Strain the oyster liquor into the stew and stir in well.
- Stir in the sherry, and taste and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Fold in the oysters, and serve hot, sprinkled with the green scallion tops.
- Be sparing with the salt as the oyster liquor may be salty.