Prep 2 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great Autum or Winter fare.
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 2 pints oysters (w/ Liquor)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup lightly-salted butter
- salt and pepper
- oyster crackers
- 3 sprigs parsley (optional) or 3 sprigs cayenne pepper (optional)
- Pour milk and Half and Half together in 4 Qt.
- Sauce Pan.
- Add Butter, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until steaming and butter is melted: DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
- Add oysters with liquor and stir for just a few minutes until oysters are cooked.
- Serve in traditional large, shallow soup bowls.
- Add sprig of Parsley and/or Cayenne Pepper sprinkled on top if desired.
I make this and offer celery salt for guests who want to use it. At Christmas dinner, I sprinkle celery salt and paprika (Christmas green and red) very lightly over each bowl before serving.
I volunteered to make this for Christmas dinner and my father-in-law says it was just like he used to have each Christmas on the farm! Simple and comforting! Thank you for helping me out with sharing!
This is a tradition around our home as long as I can remember. The only thing my Dad did a little differently is he made it a day ahead so that it seasoned through.