Recipe by Mme M
This is a rich and flavorful, easy to prepare soup. The longer you cook the bouillon, the thicker the broth will become; you can choose the exact thickness you want before you proceed with the oysters.
- 12 large oysters
- 8 ounces matchstick frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 saffron strands
- 1 fish bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Open the oysters over a bowl to collect all the juice. Put the juice in a one-pint measuring jug. Add to this the 1/2 cup dry white wine, then fill to the top with water to make a total of one pint.
- Pour this into a wide pot, bring to the boil. Add the bouillon. Simmer around 30 minutes over low heat.
- While it's cooking, heat the butter in a medium pot, add the frozen matchstick vegetables (typically carrot, green pepper, onion or leek). Cook this about 5 minutes. Salt and pepper the vegetables.
- After the soup broth has cooked 30 minutes, add the matchstick vegetables. Add the cream and the saffron. Blend this all, at a low simmer, and taste for seasoning.
- Add the 12 oysters.
- Cook only 30 seconds to 1 minute.