Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adding this to make in the future when I need oyster sauce. Many store bought sauces have nasty additives that our family avoids. This recipe was submitted by Rachel Monk to the website www.life123.com. You can substitute the fresh oysters with 250g prepacked oysters (shucked and in liquid)
- If using fresh oysters, steamed in pan with one cup water until opened (reserve broth)
- Very finely chop oysters.(If using prepackaged oysters reserve liquid).
- Melt butter in a skillet and sauté onion, garlic and ginger root over medium heat until onions are soft.
- Add minced oysters, thyme, oregano and basil.
- Sift in flour, mixing constantly, until flour is cooked into butter.
- Whisk in one cup of oyster broth or oyster liquid from prepackaged oysters, plus ½ cup of chicken broth, ½ cup cream and ¼ cup soy sauce.
- Now pour sauce through a sieve, removing any solids that do not pass through the holes in the sieve.
- Return remaining liquid sauce to skillet.
- Mixing constantly, cook sauce over medium heat until thickened. If not thickening properly, add a small amount of corn starch and water and cook over heat until thick enough.
- If desired, add ground black pepper to taste.
- *Recipe does not indicate how long this will keep. Yield given is a guess. When I make this myself I will update to more accurate number. Prep and cooking times are approximate.