Thought this sounded interesting and want to make them soon! Recipe source: Bon Appetit (March 1986)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the biscuits
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
For the relish
- 2 slices bacon
- 5 tablespoons water
- 3/4 lb tomato, peeled and diced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley
For the oysters
- 16 oysters
- vegetable oil
- lemon juice
- 1To make the biscuits: preheat oven to 450-degrees F.
- 2Grease cookie sheets.
- 3In a large bowl, sift together flour - baking soda. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in buttermilk until dough comes together.
- 4Turn dough out onto floured board.
- 5Knead dough gently 10 times, adding more flour if needed.
- 6Roll dough out to a thickness of 3/16 - inch and then cut into 16 rounds using a 2-inch cookie cutter (I use a coffee cup) and then transfer to prepared cookie sheets.
- 7Bake for 12-14 minutes or unti lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- 8For the relish: in a heavy skillet over medium heat fry bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons drippings.
- 9Stir water into skillet and then add next 3 ingredients (tomatoes - garlic) and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until peppers are soft and mixture thickens. Stir in parsley and salt and pepper.
- 10Crumble bacon into relish and set aside.
- 11Preheat broiler: arrange oysters on broiler pan, brushing with oil and lemon juice.
- 12Broil for 4-5 minutes, turning once or until edges begin to curl. DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- 13To assemble sandwiches: split biscuits. Spead both halfs with relish and top 1 half with oystes and then cover with second half. Repeat for remaining sandwiches.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oyster Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.5
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 54.4 mg
- Sodium 314.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 13.0 g