Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Thought this sounded interesting and want to make them soon! Recipe source: Bon Appetit (March 1986)
For the biscuits
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
For the relish
- 2 slices bacon
- 5 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 lb tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley
For the oysters
- 16 oysters
- vegetable oil
- lemon juice
- To make the biscuits: preheat oven to 450-degrees F.
- Grease cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour - baking soda. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in buttermilk until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto floured board.
- Knead dough gently 10 times, adding more flour if needed.
- Roll dough out to a thickness of 3/16 - inch and then cut into 16 rounds using a 2-inch cookie cutter (I use a coffee cup) and then transfer to prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or unti lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- For the relish: in a heavy skillet over medium heat fry bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons drippings.
- Stir water into skillet and then add next 3 ingredients (tomatoes - garlic) and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until peppers are soft and mixture thickens. Stir in parsley and salt and pepper.
- Crumble bacon into relish and set aside.
- Preheat broiler: arrange oysters on broiler pan, brushing with oil and lemon juice.
- Broil for 4-5 minutes, turning once or until edges begin to curl. DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- To assemble sandwiches: split biscuits. Spead both halfs with relish and top 1 half with oystes and then cover with second half. Repeat for remaining sandwiches.