Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A New Orleans favorite.
- canola oil or light vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 40 large oysters, shucked
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- salt, if needed
- 4 (8 inch) French baguettes
- mayonnaise, shredded iceberg lettuce, tomato slices and dill pickle chips for serving
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches in a 6 qt Dutch oven (cast iron works great) and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350 degrees.
- Whisk together salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powders, thyme, rosemary, oregano, cayenne and chile powder in a bowl; add oysters and toss until oysters are evenly coated; dust off excess cornmeal.
- Working in batches, add oysters to oil; fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain, and sprinkle with salt, if desired. Spread insides of rolls with mayonnaise; top with lettuce, tomato, and pickles.