This is the BEST way to make a Po Boy! I can't believe it is not here already. And be sure to LOAD THIS SUCKER WITH OYSTERS like we do in New Orleans! Yummy Goodness!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 dozen small oysters, shucked and drained
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- 1 loaf French bread
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups thinly sliced lettuce or 2 cups cabbage
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1Heat oven to 350º.
- 2Lightly beat egg, milk, 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoons black pepper in a bowl.
- 3Mix flour, 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoons black pepper in a shallow baking dish.
- 4Mix cornmeal, 1 teaspoons salt, and cayenne pepper in another small baking dish.
- 5Dredge 8 oysters in flour, knocking off excess, then dip into egg mixture, letting excess drip off. Then dredge in cornmeal mixture, knocking off excess. Transfer to a rack or plate until frying. Repeat with remaining oysters in batches of 6-8, until they are all done.
- 6Heat oil in a 4-qt. pot over high heat to 375º.
- 7While oil is heating, cut bread into 4 equal portions (half and half again) then split horizontally all the way through. Put bread in oven, directly on the rack, until warm - about 5 minute.
- 8While bread is heating, gently drop 1/3 of the oysters into the hot oil and fry, stirring occasionally, until golden - about 45-60 sec. Transfer to papertowels to drain. Fry remaining oysters in the same manner and small batches.
- 9Spread bread with mayonnaise topping with lettuce and TONS of oysters.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oyster Po' Boys
Serving Size: 1 (1111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3099.6
- Calories from Fat 2258
- Total Fat 250.9 g
- Saturated Fat 34.8 g
- Cholesterol 293.6 mg
- Sodium 2698.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 153.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 62.8 g