Luby Luby Luby's Note:
DH & I attended his sister's wedding at Monmouth Plantation located in Natchez, MS where our first dinner course was a bowl of Oyster & Mushroom Soup that was out of this world. We were still talking about how good it was on the drive home and decided we would cook it the next day. I didn't have their recipe, but I concocted this recipe after researching many many different Oyster Soup recipes on the internet. I combined a little of this and a little of that and this is the end result. It doesn't taste exactly like Monmouth's soup, but it isn't half bad either. As a side note, I'm not a big fan of oysters but I will eat certain dishes with them. I think anyone who is a non-oyster lover would like this as long as they just removed the oysters from their bowl.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 (10 ounce) containers oysters, drained
- 1/2 cup oyster liquor
- 4 slices lean bacon
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 Stick)
- 1 cup white onion, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, minced
- 1/2 cup green onion, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 lb button mushroom, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1Drain raw oysters & reserving 1/2 cup oyster liquor.
- 2In large heavy pot saute bacon until crisp.
- 3Remove bacon and reserve drippings (eat bacon-you will not add it to the soup).
- 4Add stick of butter to reserved bacon drippings and melt.
- 5When butter has melted add onions, celery and garlic and saute over medium heat until soft, about 30 minutes.
- 6Add sliced mushrooms and green onions and saute until mushrooms are tender, about 30 minutes.
- 7Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 3-5 minutes.
- 8Slowly add sherry and cook for about 5 minutes.
- 9Slowly add chicken broth and oyster liquor and stir until well blended.
- 10Add bouillion cubes, salt, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne pepper and nutmeg, stirring to mix.
- 11Bring to a simmer over medium heat and gently simmer for about 15 minutes.
- 12In a large measuring cup or bowl beat egg yolks slightly.
- 13Add heavy cream to egg yolks, mixing well.
- 14Slowly add cream mixture to pot, stirring well and gently simmer for about 5 minutes.
- 15Add oysters and gently simmer for about 3 minutes or just until oysters curl around the edges.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oyster & Mushroom Soup
Serving Size: 1 (595 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 787.5
- Calories from Fat 528
- Total Fat 58.7 g
- Saturated Fat 32.2 g
- Cholesterol 356.5 mg
- Sodium 1455.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 24.7 g