Prep 20 mins
Cook 47 mins
I found this to be a wonderful low fat version that didn't seem to be missing that certain 'something' that a lot of low fat italian recipes do. Adapted from 'Sensationally Light Pasta & Grains' by Rose Reisman.
- 12 manicotti
- 3 cups oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups leeks, chopped (white and pale green parts)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 4 ounces lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup 5% fat ricotta cheese
- 1⁄3 cup lowfat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons low-fat parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup pasta sauce (I use Five Brothers Marinara & Burgandy Wine)
- 3 tablespoons skim milk
- Cook manicotti shells in large pot of boiling water fo 14 minutes.
- Rinse under cold water.
- Set side.
- Cook mushrooms, leeks and garlic in large nonstick skillet sprayed with vegetable spray over medium-high heat for 8 minutes or until softened.
- Add beef, stirring to break up.
- Cook for 3 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Add stock, tomato paste and thyme and cook fo 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Place beef mixture, ricotta, mozzarella, 2 tbsp parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in food processor.
- Pulse on and off until well mixed.
- Set Aside.
- In a small bowl combine tomato sauce and milk.
- Spread half of sauce over bottom of 13x9 baking dish.
- Stuff each manicotti shell with about 3 tbsp filling and place in baking dish.
- Cover with remaining sauce and sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.