Top Review by yamakarasu
This was wonderful. I never would've thought to put barley with rice.. seems like such an obvious choice! They both balanced each other out so it still tastes like rice but has that little extra texture and slight creaminess from the barley. Delicious! I skipped the parm (I thought it tasted great without it at that point) and added a touch more black pepper and it was a winner :) Thanks!
- 6 cups water
- 2⁄3 brown basmati rice or 2⁄3 white basmati rice
- 2⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb oyster mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to boil in large saucepan.
- Add rice and barley and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally (about 45 minutes).
- Heat olive oil in a large fry pan on medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and saute until almost tender, 8-10 minutes.
- Add the barley rice mixture to the mushrooms and stir.
- Add in broth, cheese and pepper.
- Stir until cheese melts and the mixture is creamy.