Recipe by Mille®
Legend has is that this dish has powerful aphrodisiac qualities, so be careful (or not!) This is a traditional regional recipe from Hooper's Island, Maryland.
- 1 quart shucked oyster, liquor reserved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 1 egg
- 2 fluid ounces half-and-half
- Crisco, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together the egg, salt, pepper, baking powder, and pancake mix.
- Add half and half; beat until smooth.
- Add the oysters and liquor.
- Stir until the oysters are mixed well.
- In an iron (or heavy) skillet, melt Crisco (about ½ inch deep).
- Drop the oysters in hot oil.
- They will spread out like a flat fritter.
- Fry until cooked through.
- Serve hot, with pickled relish or cocktail sauce.