Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
Delicious served with cocktail sauce, lemon wedges or tartar sauce, this recipe comes from the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. The simple batter lets the oysters' flavor shine. Cooking time approximate.
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 24 oysters
- oil or fat, for frying
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Beat egg yolks until thickened, add milk and dry ingredients; beat until smooth.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Drain oysters well and drop into batter; take up in a tablespoon with all the batter the spoon will hold and drop into deep fat preheated to 360°F.
- Fry until golden brown and drain on absorbent paper.