Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe posted by request. Original recipe from Williams-Sonoma.
Make and share this Oyster Cream Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 4 slices bacon, cooked to just crisp and crumbled drain off fat
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups shucked oysters, in their liquor
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Add the potato, carrot, celery and onion.
- Saute for 3 minutes.
- Pour the oysters through a fine mesh strainer into the pan, then add the milk, cream and thyme.
- Bring milk and vegetable mixture to a boil, reducing heat to a simmer.
- Cook, uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the oysters and cook until their edges curl, about 3 minutes.
- Season to taste with hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with chives and crumbled bacon.
Yum! This is a very good recipe. It is our new standard oyster stew. The little bit of tabasco and the thyme subtly liven it up. I do question whether this recipe could actually serve 6 people -- 4 is more like it.
This stew is much better than what my mother use to make. I used 3 7oz cans of oysters and their juice. I substituted parsley for the chives and omited the tabasco for my children. DH really loved it. Thanks for the great recipe.
I made this for Christmas Eve last year ('06) I just realized when I went hunting for the recipe to make again this year that I didn't rate it. Needless to say if I'm making it again it was a huge hit! The addition of the potato, carrot, and celery are very nice. Thanks for sharing.