Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My Mother used to make Oyster Chowder every year for Christmas. I admit mine is not as good as hers was (she didn't use a recipe), but for those of you who like Oyster Chowder, this recipe if pretty good.
- Fry bacon until lightly browned in large, heavy pan.
- Add onions and saute for about 5 minutes on low heat, be sure not to brown.
- Drain off drippings, but leave salt and onions in pan.
- Add water, potato, salt and pepper, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes on medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and add oysters, cook for about 5 minutes, or until edges of oysters start to curl.
- Heat half- and-half to scalding point in a double boiler, then stir into oyster mixture.
- Remove from heat, add additional seasonings if desired.
- Serve immediately.