My Mother used to make Oyster Chowder every year for Christmas. I admit mine is not as good as hers was (she didn't use a recipe), but for those of you who like Oyster Chowder, this recipe if pretty good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Fry bacon until lightly browned in large, heavy pan.
- 2Add onions and saute for about 5 minutes on low heat, be sure not to brown.
- 3Drain off drippings, but leave salt and onions in pan.
- 4Add water, potato, salt and pepper, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes on medium heat.
- 5Reduce heat to low and add oysters, cook for about 5 minutes, or until edges of oysters start to curl.
- 6Heat half- and-half to scalding point in a double boiler, then stir into oyster mixture.
- 7Remove from heat, add additional seasonings if desired.
- 8Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oyster Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 257.8
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 79.0 mg
- Sodium 734.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 14.7 g