Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A hearty soup with two of my favorite foods...oysters and artichokes.
- 2 (12 ounce) containersfresh standard oysters
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 6 bay leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and cut into eighths
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Drain oysters, reserving 1 cup liquid.
- Cut each oyster into fourths.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onions and next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring constantly, until green onions are tender.
- Add flour, stirring until blended.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir in reserved 1 cup oyster liquid and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Add oysters, artichoke hearts and parsley; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream and cook just until thoroughly heated.
- Serve immediately.
Very good. Different. The oysters and artichokes complemented each other surprisingly well. I'll make it again.
OMG--this was excellent!! I cut the recipe in half (and now wish I hadn't!). Followed exactly except used the whole 12oz. jar artichoke quarters. This is so easy and very, very good. Will make often.