Recipe by Lorac
This is my favorite oyster recipe. I serve this as a side dish for Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner or at a holiday buffet. This also makes a great luncheon or supper dish topped with a mushroom cream sauce and served with a salad.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 dashes hot sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup coarsely chopped and drained oyster
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F and butter a loaf pan.
- Melt butter in a large skillet, add onions, celery and garlic and cook over medium high heat, stirring until vegetables soften.
- Add spinach, cream, hot sauce, nutmeg and salt.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove pan from heat, stir in bread crumbs, eggs and oysters, stirring until well mixed.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared loaf pan.
- Set pan in a larger baking dish and add about 1 1/2 inchs of boiling water.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.