Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This creamy chowder is rich, flavorful and deliciously satisfying. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 quart oyster
- 1 cup oyster liquor
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cream or 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, cleaned and sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oysters in their own liquor below the bloiling point until edges curl.
- Drain, saving the liquor.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter, blend in flour; add milk gradually, stirring constantly to the boiling point.
- Add cream, shallots, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Heat mushrooms in the remaining butter until hot, but do not brown.
- Add mushrooms, oysters, and oyster liquor to cream sauce.
- Serve hot.