Recipe by mollypaul
This creamy chowder is rich, flavorful and deliciously satisfying. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 quart oyster
- 1 cup oyster liquor
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cream or 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, cleaned and sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oysters in their own liquor below the bloiling point until edges curl.
- Drain, saving the liquor.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter, blend in flour; add milk gradually, stirring constantly to the boiling point.
- Add cream, shallots, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Heat mushrooms in the remaining butter until hot, but do not brown.
- Add mushrooms, oysters, and oyster liquor to cream sauce.
- Serve hot.