Recipe by Member #610488
One of the most popular and common donburi in Japan is oyakodon, or chicken and egg rice. In Japanese, oyakodon literally means parent and child bowl.
- 1⁄4 small onion, cut into rings
- 8 ounces chicken thighs, fat trimmed cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 stalk scallion, cut diagonally
- hot cooked rice, for serving
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soup, base (Mizkan Bonito Flavored Soup Base)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons mirin (Mizkan Honteri Mirin)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Stir to combine well.
- Heat up a small saucepan on high heat and bring the water to boil. Add the sliced onion, chicken, the mixed sauce and cook for 2 minutes. Skim off the scum.
- Pour the eggs slowly in a circular motion covering the chicken. Lower the heat to simmer and cover the saucepan with its lid. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the scallions.
- To serve, add steamed rice to two rice bowls and top with the simmered chicken and eggs. Serve immediately.