Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
One of the most popular and common donburi in Japan is oyakodon, or chicken and egg rice. In Japanese, oyakodon literally means parent and child bowl.
- 1⁄4 small onion, cut into rings
- 8 ounces chicken thighs, fat trimmed cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 stalk scallion, cut diagonally
- hot cooked rice, for serving
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soup, base (Mizkan Bonito Flavored Soup Base)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons mirin (Mizkan Honteri Mirin)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Stir to combine well.
- Heat up a small saucepan on high heat and bring the water to boil. Add the sliced onion, chicken, the mixed sauce and cook for 2 minutes. Skim off the scum.
- Pour the eggs slowly in a circular motion covering the chicken. Lower the heat to simmer and cover the saucepan with its lid. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the scallions.
- To serve, add steamed rice to two rice bowls and top with the simmered chicken and eggs. Serve immediately.