1 hr 30 mins
Better Homes and Gardens
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup stemmed sliced shiitake mushroom
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 large carrot, cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 cup sliced scallion
- 1/2 cup frozen green pea
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sake
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1Make the sticky rice--place rice in a bowl with cold water.
- 2Rub rice with your hands, draining off water and adding fresh water until water is clear.
- 3Place rice and 1 3/4 cups fresh water in a heavy medium saucepan and soak for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 4Bring rice to boiling over med-high heat.
- 5Decrease heat to med-low; cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until tender.
- 6Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- 7In a large skillet heat sesame oil over medium heat.
- 8In a small bowl whisk together eggs and the water until combined (season with salt and pepper, to taste, if desired).
- 9Add egg mixture to hot skillet; cook until set, lifting edges so egg mixture flows underneat.
- 10Remove skillet form heat.
- 11Cover and let stand for 2 minutes.
- 12Flip egg mixture out onto cutting board; set aside.
- 13Cut chicken into thin bite-size strips.
- 14In same large skillet, cook chicken and chicken broth for 3-4 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- 15Add mushrooms, bamboo shoots, carrot, 1/4 cup of the scallions, the peas, soy sauce, sake, and sugar.
- 16Return mixture to boiling; reduce heat.
- 17Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender; taste and adjust seasoning, if needed.
- 18To serve, spoon chicken mixture over hot Sticky Rice in large individual bowls.
- 19Garnish with remaining scallions.
- 20Divide omelet into 4 wedges; add a wedge to each bowl.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oyako Donburi (Parent-Child Bowl)
Serving Size: 1 (446 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 479.4
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 240.4 mg
- Sodium 958.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 34.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: