Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Better Homes and Gardens
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup stemmed sliced shiitake mushroom
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 large carrot, cut into julienne strips
- 1⁄2 cup sliced scallion
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea
- 1⁄3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sake
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Make the sticky rice--place rice in a bowl with cold water.
- Rub rice with your hands, draining off water and adding fresh water until water is clear.
- Place rice and 1 3/4 cups fresh water in a heavy medium saucepan and soak for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Bring rice to boiling over med-high heat.
- Decrease heat to med-low; cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet heat sesame oil over medium heat.
- In a small bowl whisk together eggs and the water until combined (season with salt and pepper, to taste, if desired).
- Add egg mixture to hot skillet; cook until set, lifting edges so egg mixture flows underneat.
- Remove skillet form heat.
- Cover and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Flip egg mixture out onto cutting board; set aside.
- Cut chicken into thin bite-size strips.
- In same large skillet, cook chicken and chicken broth for 3-4 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add mushrooms, bamboo shoots, carrot, 1/4 cup of the scallions, the peas, soy sauce, sake, and sugar.
- Return mixture to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender; taste and adjust seasoning, if needed.
- To serve, spoon chicken mixture over hot Sticky Rice in large individual bowls.
- Garnish with remaining scallions.
- Divide omelet into 4 wedges; add a wedge to each bowl.