Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This came from an old Bon Appetit magazine. It's one of my favorites.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 -5 lbs oxtails
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 leeks, white and pale green parts,chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (750 ml) bottle dry red wine
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 12 sprigs fresh parsley
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Heat oil in a large heavy Dutch oven on high heat.
- Season oxtails with salt and pepper.
- Brown on all sides.
- Transfer to platter.
- Add celery, carrots, leeks, onion.
- and garlic to pot.
- Saute until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Place oxtails on top.
- Add wine, thyme, parsley, cloves, and bay leaves.
- Boil until liquid is reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Add chicken broth.
- Cover tightly and simmer until meat is tender-about 1+1/2 hours.
- Remove oxtails from liquid.
- Tent with foil and keep warm.
- Strain cooking liquid.
- Skim fat from surface.
- Reserve 2 T fat.
- In a medium saucepan heat fat over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir until mixture browns, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk in cooking liquid.
- Simmer until sauce is reduced to 2 cups, stirring often, about 45 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return oxtails to sauce.
- Heat on low until serving temperature.