Recipe by L. Duch
This is a wonderful dish a South African friend sent me. The oxtail gives such a rich flavour.
- 3 lbs oxtails, cut into sections
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary or 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup meat stock
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 2 carrots, quartered
- 2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Coat oxtail with flour and brown in heated oil.
- 2. Add bay leaves, salt pepper and rosemary to meat, and pour heated wine and stock itno pot. Stir once, then cover with lid and simmer slowly for 2.5-3 hours or until meat is tender. Only open the lid to replenish with heated wine or meat stock if necessary.
- 3. Arrange leeks, carrots and celery on top of meat and simmer for further 15-30min.