3 hrs 15 mins
Grace Lynn's Note:
I have made this stew about 5 times. It's my favorite oxtail stew recipe. My husband and I love the sauce with pasta! I found this recipe on Epicurious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 lbs oxtails
- all-purpose flour
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, plus
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, divided
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian tomatoes, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 3/4 lb sugar snap pea (I've always skipped this step)
- 1Sprinkle oxtails with paprika, salt and pepper.
- 2Coat with flour.
- 3Cook bacon in heavy Dutch oven over medium heat until fat is rendered, about 5 minutes.
- 4Remove bacon, using slotted spoon and reserve.
- 5Increase heat to high.
- 6Working in batches, add oxtails and cook until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- 7Transfer oxtails to plate.
- 8Add onions and garlic to Dutch oven, reduce heat to medium and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- 9Mix in tomato paste and 4 teaspoons rosemary.
- 10Add wine and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits.
- 11Boil until liquid is reduced by half, about 6 minutes.
- 12Add tomatoes, breaking up with spoon.
- 13Add broth.
- 14Return oxtails with any juices and bacon to Dutch oven.
- 15Bring to boil.
- 16Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
- 17Uncover and simmer until liquid is slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
- 18(Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.) Add sugar snap peas to oxtails.
- 19Simmer stew uncovered until peas are just crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- 20Sprinkle stew with 2 tablespoons rosemary.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oxtail Stew with Tomatoes and Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (427 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 259.3
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 16.1 mg
- Sodium 818.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: