Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
- 5 lbs oxtails
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 medium yellow onions, with skin quartered
- 1 celery heart, with lots of green leaves
- 1 head garlic, cut in half across the head
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 5 quarts cold water
- 1 (32 ounce) jar beefamato juice or 1 (32 ounce) jar tomato juice
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 6 celery ribs, sliced
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 (18 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 16 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup spinach, baby leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups barley
- preheat oven to 425 f.
- lightly oil a roasting pan dredge oxtails in flour (mixed with salt and pepper) and place in roasting pan roast about 15 minutes add quartered onions, garlic and celery heart spread tomato paste over oxtails roast, stirring occasionally to prvent the vegetables from burning,until the oxtails are well browned~ 40 minutes transfer oxtails and vegetables to large stockpot pour off excess grease saving the carmalized cooking juices add to the hot roasting pan 2 c.
- cold water scape up any brown bits and add to stock pot add Beefamato, 4 1/2 quarts cold water, bay leaves,beef base to stock pot and place in oven at 250 F.
- cook for~ 3 hours or until meat is tender remove stockpot from oven and strain the stock reserving the oxtails you can chill the stock at this time to remove excess fat but leave~ 2 tbl.
- for flavor remove meat from oxtail bones and reserve heat the stock on stove to low simmer add chopped onion, sliced mushrooms, sliced celery, sliced carrots, spinach, tomatoes,and barley simmer until barley is tender~ 30 minutes add oxtail meat and heat through salt and pepper to taste serve with crusty rolls.