5 hrs 45 mins
5 hrs 30 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs oxtails, disjointed or 2 veal tails
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 4 peppercorns
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup tomato, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried, crushed
- 1/4 cup madeira wine
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1In a 4-quart Dutch Oven brown oxtail and onion in hot oil for several minutes.
- 2Add water, salt and peppercorns; simmer uncovered for about 2 hours.
- 3Cover and continue to simmer for 3 additional hours.
- 4Add the parsley, carrots, celery, bay leaf, tomatoes, and thyme; continue simmering for 30 minutes longer or until the vegetables are tender.
- 5Strain stock and refrigerate for an hour or more.
- 6In a blender puree the edible meat and vegetables and reserve.
- 7Remove fat from top of stock and reheat.
- 8In a large, dry frypan brown flour over high heat.
- 9Cool slightly.
- 10Add the butter or margarine, blend.
- 11A little at a time, add the stock and vegetables.
- 12Correct seasoning and add madeira just before serving.
Browse Our Top German Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oxtail Soup
Serving Size: 1 (398 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 88.0
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 438.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: