Recipe by Kimke
This is another old family recipe. You may have seen the disgusting looking, cheap oxtails at the grocery. This is a good way to use them. It make a wonderful, rich, meaty broth which is wonderful on a cold, winter day.
- 2 lbs oxtails
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 3 -5 potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2-1 head cabbage (1/2 large head)
- frozen vegetables, of your choice (we usually used mixed veggies with corn, limas, green beans, etc.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil meat in stock pot with water for 10 minutes and then drain off water.
- Cut up onion and put with ox-tail.
- Cover with 8 cups water.
- Boil for 1 hour.
- Take out meat.
- Add tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage and frozen veggies (no need to thaw).
- Cut meat off bones and return meat to soup.
- Boil another hour.