Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an English sauce, also known as Cumberland sauce, which is traditionally served with cold venison. It can be used with other game and meats.
- 3 shallots, minced
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1⁄3 cup red currant jelly, melted
- 1⁄3 cup port wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 dash ginger
- Cook shallots in a little water for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Cut off thinnest possible peeling from the orange and lemon.
- Cut peeling into fine julienne strips, and simmer in water to cover for 10 minutes.
- Put shallots,orange and lemon peelings, juice from the orange and from half the lemon, and remaining ingredients in bowl.
- Mix well.
- Makes about 1 cup.
Thank you for posting this wonderful recipe Sharon. It was so easy to make. Cumberland sauce is one of my favourites...this tasted amazing overtop of goose liver pate with fresh baguette...yummm its a keeper.