Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Sunset. You will need an owl-shaped cookie cutter.
- 1 1⁄3 cups butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- candy corn
- miniature chocolate chip
- Preheat oven to 350° (325° if using convection heat).
- In a bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until blended, then beat on high speed until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat until well blended. Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; beat on low speed until combined, then on medium speed until well blended.
- Divide dough into three portions.
- Place each portion between two sheets of floured plastic wrap. Roll dough evenly into flat rounds about 1/4 inch thick.
- Stack rounds on a baking sheet and chill until firm, at least 45 minutes, or up to 2 days.
- Working with one portion of dough at a time (keep remaining chilled), peel off top sheet of plastic wrap.
- Or with floured round cookie cutters (3-in. diameter), cut out cookies, placing cutters as close together as possible.
- Transfer to cooking parchment-lined or ungreased baking sheets, placing cookies about 1 inch apart.
- Repeat with remaining dough rounds. Gather up scraps and press together into a ball. If dough is still cold, roll and cut out remaining cookies. If it's soft and sticky, repeat step 3.
- Bake cookies until firm to touch and slightly darker brown around edges, 8 or 9 minutes; if baking more than one sheet at a time in one oven, switch positions halfway through baking.
- Slide parchment with cookies off sheets onto racks or counter to cool, then remove from parchment. Or cool on pans about 1 minute and then transfer to racks to cool completely.
- If not using cooking parchment, wipe off baking sheets after each batch. Cool sheets before filling with more cookies.
- Spread icing over cookies and decorate with candies, using candy corn for a beak and chocolate chips for eyes. Let stand until icing is firm, about 5 minutes.