Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Southern comfort food from the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Preheat oven to 350F and butter a 11 x 8 pan.
- Add butter and eggs to hot hominy grits.
- Add milk gradually; then corn meal and salt.
- The batter should be the consistency of thick boiled custard.
- Add more milk if the batter becomes too thick.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Like all spoon breads, serve from the pan very hot with plenty of butter.