1 hr 15 mins
Lady Dancer's Note:
When I was a young working mother some 30 years ago now, this was a fairly regular option for dinner. It was easy for me to put together before bed and whoever arrived home first would pop it into the oven. That gave me an uninterruped hour to take care of after work chores and start the kids on their homework. I tried due diligence on this one to see if it was posted in 'Zaar, but none just like this that I could find. The original recipe called for fresh onion, but today we prefer the dehydrated version. I've also added the optional seasonings in recent years and it's still one of our favorites.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans campbells 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni (uncooked)
- 8 ounces water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 3 -4 teaspoons dehydrated onion (depending on your taste preference)
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces tuna, drained of any liquid (or 1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked chicken)
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dried chives (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (optional)
- 1Empty soup into large mixing bowl.
- 2Whisk or stir in milk until well blended.
- 3Stir in uncooked macaroni, water chestnuts, onions and cheddar cheese.
- 4Add eggs, salt, tuna, parsley and chives and stir just until blended.
- 5Pour into lightly greased 2 quart casserole dish.
- 6Sprinkle top of casserole with Old Bay Seasoning.
- 7Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- 8NEXT DAY:.
- 9Preheat oven to 350.
- 10Bake uncovered 40 minutes.
- 11Increase oven temperature to 375 for 10 minutes to "finish" the casserole.
- 12Allow the dish to rest 10 minutes and casserole will thicken nicely for serving.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Overnite Tuna (Or Chicken) Casserole - Lite
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 352.7
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 147.4 mg
- Sodium 284.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 24.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup