Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this scrumptious-looking, healthy recipe on McCormick.com and modified it slightly to fit my dietary needs. I can't wait to try it. Prep time does not include time to soak the bread.
- 5 eggs, beaten or 1 1⁄4 cups Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 3⁄4 cup milk or 3⁄4 cup soymilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 8 1-inch slices
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen whole strawberries
- 4 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- cinnamon sugar (a 2 to 1 mixture of sugar and cinnamon)
- Mix eggs, milk, vanilla extract and baking powder. Pour over bread to soak; turn to coat well. Cover.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Mix frozen strawberries, bananas and sugar in 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Top with soaked bread slices.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
This makes a great breakfast! The kids were asking for more before I could even fix my plate! The only change I made was to turn the oven temp down to 350.
I added 2 tblsps oil to grease the pan to prevent sticking.Then I reversed layers,soaked french toast,added 1 large pkg strawberry banana jello sprinkled dry afterplacing in pan, then thawed strawberries with spiced sugar.(I didn't have bananas) 400 35 min . Now a keeper!Let set about 10 minutes before cutting in squares.Everything goes in pan before chilling. The ease of making is nice. make,chill overnight and bake. The french toast puffs up, similiar to bread pudding. No need for syrup. Gone in minutes!You can also substitute dry cherry jello and cherry pie filling instead of frozen strawberries. Thanks for the starter recipe!