Recipe by BeckyF
This dish is great for breakfast or brunch because it can be made the night before and baked just before you plan to serve it.
Top Review by LazyDolly
5 stars for sure. I used jalapeno peppers (3) finely chopped without seeds, Canadian peameal bacon, (precooked and chopped) and 1 1/2 Tbls. Italian seasoning instead of the dill. Everyone loved it and asked for seconds. Prep time is well worth it! Absolutely delicious.
- 2 teaspoons corn oil margarine
- 1 cup sliced white mushroom
- 1 large onion, diced (2 cups)
- 16 slices white bread, crust removed
- 1⁄2 lb lean bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup diced celery
- 2 anaheim chilies, seeds removed and diced
- 1⁄2 lb reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dill weed, crushed
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup liquid egg substitute
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the margarine in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and onions and cook, stirring, until just slightly tender, 2 minutes.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with non stick vegetable spray.
- Place 8 of the bread slices in the prepared dish.
- Layer half of the mushrooms and the onions, bacon, celery, and chilies on top of the bread and finish with half of the cheese.
- Sprinkle with half of the salt, pepper, and dill.
- Repeat the bread layer and the remaining half of the ingredients as above but add the tomato slices before the cheese.
- Thoroughly mix the egg substitute, eggs, milk and mustard and pour into the dish.
- Cover with wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Before baking, allow the strata to stand at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the strata, uncovered, until bubbly and lightly browned, 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.