For that feast you are planning! This makes the most meltingly tender pulled pork. This calls for a whole shoulder, but I have done this with a Boston Butt(with skin on) with good results. From Jamie Oliver.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11 -13 lbs pork shoulder, one the bone, skin scored with a sterilized exacto knife
- 750 ml dry white wine
- 1 pint chicken stock
- 3 medium carrots, peeled, sliced into thick rings
- 3 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed
- 1 head garlic, peeled, and smashed
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1Preheat oven to maximum.
- 2Smash fennel seeds with salt in a mortar and pestle until fine.
- 3Put the veggies, garlic, and thyme sprigs into a large roasting tray.
- 4Pat shoulder with olive oil and put on top of the veggies. It is IMPERATIVE that it covers all the veggies, or they will burn, and your sauce will not work.
- 5If you use a Boston Butt be sure to reduce cooking time!
- 6Massage with the powdered fennel, rubbing into the scores.
- 7Put into max heated oven for 20-30 minutes, or until it is beginning to color, then turn down to 250F and cook for 9-12 hours or until you can pull it with a fork (198 internal temp).
- 8Tip all the wine into the roasting tray and let it cook for another hour until you have a nice thick sauce.
- 9Remove and let rest for a half hour, before moving to a very large cutting board.
- 10Mash up the veggies in the tray with a potato masher. Add chicken stock, and boil until you have a nice gravy. You may need to thicken it.
- 11Serve with braised greens, baked beans and the lovely gravy. Yum!
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Overnight Slow Roasted Pork
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 652.3
- Calories from Fat 408
- Total Fat 45.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 177.8 mg
- Sodium 567.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 44.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: