Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I've been eating this salad at Thanksgiving and Christmas for as long as I can remember. I'm putting it here so I don't have to keep asking my mom for the recipe every year. It's SO good. One year I halved the recipe and my family was really upset with me. They like lots of leftovers!
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can royal ann cherries, halved (you can substitute halved red grapes if you can't find Royal Anne Cherries)
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 (15 ounce) can pears, cut up in small pieces
- 1 lb mini marshmallows
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 2 cups whipped cream
- Combine the egg yolks, milk, and sugar in a small pan and cook over low to medium heat until thickened. (Don't worry if the eggs curdle a little bit, that's okay!) Cool in fridge.
- Drain the Royal Anne cherries, pineapple, and pear slices, then cut the cherries in half lengthwise and the pears into small pieces.
- Combine the custard and fruit in a large bowl, then add marshmallows, lemon juice, and whipped cream.
- Place in refrigerator overnight.